Thursday, December 6, 2007

Difficulty with Emoticons

I was reading a comment on something awhile ago and realized I have great difficulty with emoticons. It can be an emoticon of any sort whether it's on a message board where you have a list of various smiley faces from which to choose or the typewritten ones like :). I hate them. I'm fine with receiving them, but I don't feel comfortable using them, even to my detriment. I don't know why; I just can't bring myself to use them. They are used to provide a tone in which the message is meant. Like if someone is being sarcastic, they might type ;) or whatever. For whatever reason, I would rather the message be misunderstood than use an emoticon.

Essentially, I'm trying to find a deeper psychological reason as to why I don't like them. Naturally, I actually am a relatively emotional person. I'm very feeling oriented. It's not that I'm not comfortable with my emotions. Do I freely communicate my emotions? Possibly not. Half the time I may not understand what I'm feeling anyway. I also know that emotions have their limitations. They shouldn't be depended upon because they are superficial and temporary; however, not expressing them does lead to a myriad of problems. I don't know if I'm truly emotionally wise or healthy. I'm not emoticonally healthy. That I do know.

No comments: