Sunday, August 12, 2007

I Am A Boo Boo

Awhile back, I befriended a singer, whom I believe to be quite charismatic. Whenever we would go anywhere, people would treat us as if she were more important, the star of the show. I was like the sidekick, the best friend. This is not unusual for me at all. In fact, it happens far too often. In high school, I felt practically invisible. It isn't that I lack confidence or talent. I'm not ugly. I just tend not to attract much attention.

I am fascinated and amused by personality tests of any sort, whether they are accurate or not. I have found out which Muppet character I am, what type of soda most characterizes me, what my taste in colors says about me, how emo I am, and many other things. One day while observing my singer friend, I decided I am a Boo Boo Bear.

Boo Boo, Yogi Bear's loyal best friend, is short and kind of geeky. He's friendly, mild mannered and shy. Boo Boo seems harmless, non-threatening. It's hard not to like him. (His voice annoys me a bit, though.) Despite his apparent innocence, he is Yogi's partner in crime, which means he has a bit of a dark streak to him, and I can appreciate that. I have a hard time trusting seemingly perfectly innocuous people, and they are rather boring.

I have no problem with my status as the lovable sidekick, but I'm a performer. I have satisfactory musical ability (when I'm able-see previous post). I never have figured out what makes a person charismatic. I've tried to observe and study it. There is often a certain amount of energy some charismatic people seem to have that I lack. I sometimes feel as if I live on the equivalent of the "energy saver" option on a dishwasher. Not all performers have that kind of energy though. They are generally the more emotional, introspective kind of people, which I may assimilate. Due to my laid-back style, I tend to be more background rather than a featured musician. Which reminds me, the Muppet I most closely resemble is Rowlf the Dog. Maybe I need to take up jazz.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Give us a link to that "What Muppet are you?" quiz!

Hope your rehab continues apace!